Psychic Abilities & Powers
There are several types of Psychic abilities that can be developed by practitioners to varying degrees of success, depending on how much
time, effort, and training they are willing to engage in.
A wide range of abilities have been noted by mystical practitioners some of the most common include:
- Astral projection: The ability to project one’s consciousness into other states of being or different locations, or times.
- Remote Viewing: The ability to view distant locations by projecting one’s perceptual faculties.
- Automatic writing: The ability to draw or write psychic insights without conscious control of your hand or arm.
- Divination: The ability to gain insight to current, past, or future events, often with some kind of device, such as Tarot cards, dice, bones, or other means.
- Dowsing: Traditionally the ability to find water for wells, however today it has expanded to finding locations
with strong electromagnetic or esoteric energies.
- Energy Medicine: The ability to heal with subtle energies. Related to Reiki, the laying on of hands, and
- Psychokinesis: The ability to move one’s self or other objects by will and without physical contact.
- Mediumship: The ability to communicate with spirits by allowing them to manifest through one’s body or mind.
- Psychometry: To read and interpret subtle energetic information by handling objects. Often revealing information about events that have occured near the object.
- Telepathy: The ability to transmit or receive thoughts to other persons or animals.
Historical Context of Psychicism
These abilities have been recorded throughout human history. Divination and Energy Medicine have been used in Shamanistic healing rites in some of the earliest human civilizations. Religious and Mythical texts of all religions describe the use of some of or all of the abilities noted above. Either in a positive, or negative light depending on the context.
The following history would take volumes to properly explain and contextualize. What follows will be an incredibly surface level introduction that should be researched with far more depth than what the scope of this article will allow.
With the advent of Christianity and it’s attempt to consolidate the power of the priests during the middle ages many of these abilities became taboo and were linked to devilry and witchcraft.
With the advent of protestant Christianity and a renewed emphasis on one personal connection with the mystical and the divine, groups reemerged to explore the mysteries that had spent centuries being forbidden.
It would be these, still ostracized, Esoteric groups, that would begin to once again explore the limits of the human mind and spirit more openly. These groups would continue into the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries with the advent of Spiritualism and the practice of Seances. It was during this time that some of the most well-known names in modern Esoterism such as Aleister Crowley and Gerald Gardner would come from this time.
Since the explosion of Esoteric groups and research in the early 1900’s there are many resources for those looking to develop their abilities. From the massive amount of writings that are available online to the various groups that one can join there are a myriad of ways for anyone seeking to improve or develop psychic skills. One of the most well known and comprehensive online resources is Hermetic.com and an excellent place to start looking for material for those who are self-taught or working with a group.
Many Psychic abilities can also be enhanced using well-crafted Radionic devices. With proper application Radionics can be used in conjunction with all these devices to assist with the direction and manipulation of energies. This practice is defined as Psionics and can produce tremendous results with the proper application.